To My Mother


To my Mother, who is beautiful both inside and out.

I want to let you know how much I love you! I have so many fond memories of when I was little, of your caring touch, and gentleness. You were always there to comfort me when I got hurt. I loved being the youngest and spending time with you, while my older siblings were off with their friends. We were all lucky that you didn't have to work and we would come home to a sweet smell in the air from you baking. You were able to come to our school programs, ball games, and were there to support us in all our other activities and achievements.

Every time I smell a fragrant lilac it will always remind me of you. You were always so good, and still are with the grand kids, about making such a fuss when we would bring you flowers from the field. It would make me feel so good, as a little kid! You made me feel like you just loved them, and it made me proud to see them in a little vase on the counter for all to see. You still throw a fuss over how cute the grand kids are, how cute they talk, how lovely the flowers are in your yard, how exciting information is that you just researched,... everything. It's still fun, now as an adult, to hear the excitement and enthusiasm in your voice. I love how expressive you are!

I love hearing stories of your carefree childhood in Ohio, and on your grandparent's farm in West Virginia. And love that you share those sweet memories with my children. I'll never forget, one time when we were visiting, when you crawled down on the floor to lay with the kids. Their night time stories, that night, were stories of you as a child that you remembered. I loved hearing their excited and curious voices asking questions as we lay there in the dark . We've had many, many fun times with "Mama"! From sledding, four-wheeling, jumping on the trampoline, being silly, swinging, going down slides, (really, what haven't you done?) and the list goes on. It's fun to see you bring smiles and laughs to all! The grand kids love when you let out those squeals and laughs when they try to scare you with rubber snakes and spiders. You've created wonderful memories that we will all cherish!

Your beautiful smile warms my heart! Even during hard times, it seems as though you'd still put on that smiling face to comfort us. It lights up your face and draws others in. You've always been so strong and have gotten stronger over the years. No matter what comes your way, you are able to get through it!

You've always been such a great example to me! I'm proud to say that you and dad were converts to the church, in Ohio. We had a Christ centered home, and made many happy memories together. I remember traveling to the YMCA to attend our little branch for church and seeing you fulfill your callings. I remember having the missionaries over for dinner. I remember watching you by dad's side as he'd play the guitar and you'd both sing John Denver songs. You have such a pretty voice! Because of your example and strength through the years, I've had the support to fulfill my church callings, serve a mission, get sealed in the temple, and be a mother. You've definitely succeeded in your calling, as Mother!

Thank you, you are loved!

2 comments:

dcalvin said...

I think you are just like you Mother by the beautiful tribute you gave her here on your blog. You too are an awesome women with many of the same talents and strengths of your own mother.

Grandma Trisha said...

That was a great piece you wrote about your mother, Adrienne. It warmed my heart, as I'm sure it did hers. You are a wonderful daughter and we appreciate your goodness.